> Project Officer(Nan Ning Guang Xi Province), Handicap International
Project Officer– Nan Ning Guang Xi Province
1. Background Information
Handicap International was founded in France in 1982. It is a non-governmental organization set to contribute to the prevention of disabilities and to support the improvement of the life of disabled people in all related areas (medical, social and economic).
Handicap International is now active in 60 countries around the world. Handicap International China is active in Guangxi, Shichuan, Tibet and Beijing. The representative office is based in Beijing.
Handicap International has been operating in Guangxi province since 1998, in close cooperation with the Guangxi Disabled Persons’ Federation, the Guangxi Department of Health and the Guangxi Dermatology Institute.
From 1998 to 2005, Handicap International developed a program to support people affected with leprosy. The program included the following components: disability prevention, rehabilitation, income generation, and access to schools.
Since 2006, Handicap International supports the Guangxi Disabled Persons’ Federation in establishing a support network for children with CP (cerebral palsy) and CD (cognitive delay). Activities mainly consist in conducting surveys, developing training materials for rehabilitation workers and setting up a referral system for CP/CD children.
2. Required Professional skills
• Experience in working in the fields of community mobilization and /or rural development
• Minimum of two years of working experiences in health, rehabilitation or social services
• Languages: Chinese (Native), as well as a good speaking knowledge of Cantonese
English (Spoken and written: very good).
• Computer literate (MS Word, Excel, Access)
• Interested in working in challenging environments
• Good communication skills, diplomacy and with a sense of team spirit
• Working experience for NGO is preferable
3. Desirable Personality Trait
• strong analytical skills
• good organizational skills
• good problem solving skills
• willingness to work on rural and isolated areas; Willing to travel to project sites in Mashan and Fusui and within Guangxi A.R; Able to travel out of Province to link with HI projects in Yeuxi and Tibet
• a supportive and tactful approach to peoples’ problems
• able to work as part of a team
• able to work independently
• Able to work under pressure and extra time
• emotional maturity
1. General management:
• Support the Project team including:
• Interpretation of the project materials related internal and external communication.
• Representation and presentation of Handicap International GX program to the project partners and departments at all levels, (regional, city, county, township etc.).
• Manage translation work related to the implementation of HI project (project documents, training material, contracts with local partners, activity reports etc.).
• Support the Project team in terms of staff management and team building, in Nanning office and on the project sites.
• Liaison with HI administration in Nanning, for all matters related to HI projects’ implementation.
2. Field support:
(a) Liaisons with Chinese authorities and strengthening of HI’s local partnership:
• Ensure smooth communication and build confidence between HI and its local partners at regional level, county and/or township level and the project beneficiaries.
• Assists the project team in the managerial and technical training of project participants at all levels and management of the fieldwork.
(b) Project orientation:
• Promote the development of volunteer networks to encourage the inclusion of person with disability in social, sporting and cultural activities.
• Promote the development of disability working groups in awareness raising activities.
• Support the Project Manager in terms of project orientation, approach and strategy.
• Take part in project monitoring and evaluation.
3. Project Development:
• Survey and gather information for potential projects.
• Assist the Project team in building relationship with possible partners.
• Assist the Project team in exploring and assessing potential projects’ activities and sites.
• Prepare minutes of meeting and keep reports of activities
5. Submission requests
Interested applicants please send your bilingual (English and Chinese) CV and Cover Letter by e-mail to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the Human Resources Officer. Please mention your salary expectation and title/name/contact details of professional references in the cover letter. Please also mention where you saw the job announcement. The deadline for this position is 30/11/2008. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interviews, NO phone calls please.
PEOPLE WITH A DISABLITY ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY